Front vents in place

FrontVents3

FrontVents4

I adjusted the frame for the front vents and had it all printed, sanded and spray painted. Then I modelled two brackets for connecting it to the body frame. Once I received all the hardware I got it all fixed into place. The blue surrounding panel will be glued to the skins, then I can push the silver vents through from the inside. This way I can still take the skins off the frame if necessary.

More body parts

SideVents

Last week I continued to assemble more of the A&A kit body parts. Here I’m almost done with the side vents. I decided to glue them all together and then mask off the areas for the different colours, in this case the silver and the blue.

Front body vents

FrontVents1

FrontVents2

After a bit of a hiatus due to moving house early February, I started again working on R2. The center foot and ankle are still under construction but I concentrated on a few more body details now.
Glueing together bits from last year’s A&A part run: the front vents and the lower body vents. For the front vents I 3D printed the frames. The inner fluted parts are from the A&A kit and with a bit of filing fitted the frames nicely. I tried to come up with a clever solution to fix them to the frame. This would help to pull in the skins as they’re slightly bowing out around the center front. And I wanted to make them removable by creating tabs and bolt holes on the back of them (see photos). But once all bits were glued together I realised that the opening in the skins was too small to get them in from the outside. Back to the drawing board then, or rather the digital Rhino model. I still enjoy the fact that I can create these bespoke bits to fit my build.
Another thing was to plan ahead with the paint finish of the vents as they all have blue and silver parts. Which ones to spray first and then glue.

Frame assembly

I got out the bits I had cut for the wooden frame of the body. I originally started with the design by Mike Senna, one of the original builders. No wonder it’s called the Senna frame in the R2 community.

The base and top are made from 18mm ply, the uprights and intermediate rings from 12mm MDF. The wood was kindly given to me by our carpenter’s workshop. Thanks to Keith and his fabulous team. I then had it CNC cut by a company near my work at the end of October.

Most of the connections needed some sanding. That might have been down to the material being 1/2″ and 3/4″ rather than 12mm and 18mm. After a successful dry fit, I started to glue it together with PVA, leaving enough time between the steps for it to properly dry.

BodyFrame1

The photo shows me being halfway through the assembly. Didn’t take one of the completed frame but you’ll get the idea. I’m sure there’s more opportunities for pictures of the finished frame.

A&A parts arrived! I start with the skirt.

Skirt1

I finally received the first lot of A&A parts from this year’s run in June. The box contained the styrene parts for the skirt, the 3 foot drives and the 3 foot shells. In this photo I started with the first bits of the skirt, that’s the element underneath the main body with the opening where the center foot comes out.